Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 4

Here I sit atop my bunk staring at the white space in front of a blinking cursor wondering what will come next to fill the blankness.  I'm not sure what to write about my day today.  I've been journaling.  I suppose I may type out select entries throughout my stay here in Les Cayes, Haiti.
I would like to thank everyone who has been praying me through this.  I have faith that God will honor the prayers from the faithful back home.  If I ever felt like a pilgrim traveling through a foreign land in this life, much more now.  I know I have but one home.  I look to it every day.  It's fair and beautiful.  It beckons me daily to heed the call of its inhabiters, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come." and, "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."

Thank you, Father.

Following is the journal entry written after my first day in Haiti.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 1
Oct 12, 2010

Along with a busload of others, I made my way through Port Au Prince into Les Cayes, where we've made our residence.  The scenes that I saw today were the type that leave you lacking for words.  Even if I would've had something I could say about it, I wouldn't have wanted to.  I only desired to be silent.  My communication mainly consisted of the occasional head shake/nod or an affirming glance to the others sitting behind me when they spoke.
What looked to me like square miles of tent housing occupied every piece of available land, and a look in revealed a number of bare naked children wondering aimlessly amongst the worn tarps.  They have no where to be.  Just like their mothers who are openly bathing on the outskirts of the makeshift city.
I didn't really look at any faces.  Maybe I was too afraid to.  Maybe I was afraid at what I'd see in their eyes; afraid at what I knew that would do to my soul!  I knew there was no probable way for me to help them from where I was sitting, safe and shielded from the unforgiving world in a bus.  How could I look them in the eye?
I'll hopefully find someone within my sphere of influence soon.  A person who needs someone to save them from the world.  Then I'll look them in the eyes.  Then I won't be afraid.  Then I can share Jesus' love.

Thank you Jesus for loving these Haitians so much that You would send your beloved disciples to meet them where they are.  Thank you for giving me a new heart that can be willing to love these souls.  Thank you for being with me, "Even unto the end of the age."
Help me not to forget it.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you go??? I see no posts....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Isaac. Someone with such stirring words as you should not be silent very often. Not very often at all, in fact.

    ReplyDelete